External Network Hard drive FAQ
HD363N - External Network Hard drive
Q: Can I reset the password back to the factory default password?
A: Yes. To reset password back to factory default password: press the power switch to turn off the power and then turn on and hold the power switch for 5-10 seconds and release the button.
Q: How do I reset the HD363N?
A: To reset the HD363N, press the power switch to turn off the power and then turn on and hold the power switch for 5-10 seconds and release the button.
Q: Will data on my hard drive be erased when I reset the unit?
A: No, resetting only resets the password back to default password and the IP address back to default Auto IP address. For safety, backup your data before reset the unit.
Q: Does the HD363N support Unicode or UTF8 character file names?
A: Yes. The HD363N supports Unicode and UTF8 character file names, but the language needs to be set to the correct code page in web page set up utility.
Q: I can't map the drive nor access to the files with Windows or
FTP. What should I do?
A: The firewall may cause this problem. Try to set the firewall to allow HD363N pass through.
Q: How large of a file can I copy to HD363N?
A: A single file up to 4GB. The FAT32 file system supports a file size of up to 4GB.
Q: Does HD363N support NTFS file system?
Q: How to setup HD363N FTP server that allows people to log on from outside of my network?
A: In order to allow people to log on to your HD363N FTP server; you need a router that has Virtual Server or Port Forwarding to forward the IP address via port 21 of the HD363N. You will also need to know your WAN (Wide Area Network) IP address to log on from outside of your network. This IP address is usually provided to you from your Internet Service Provider.
Q: I can’t copy data from HD363N to my PC. What should I do?
A: If you have Norton Antivirus 2003 auto protection enabled, it might result in with copying data from your HD363N to your PC. You need to disable the anti-virus auto protection or update to a new version of Norton Antivirus.
Q: What happened to my HD363N after I upgraded my firmware? I can no longer access to the drive.
A: Your HD363N static IP address may be reset back to Auto IP address. You need to re-assign the static IP address for your HD363N.
In windows XP command prompt:
- Type: ipconfig /release
- Connect the HD363N directly to your computer
- Push the power button and hold for more than 5 seconds to power on HD363N
- Wait for about 30 seconds to 1 minute and type 'ipconfig /renew' in the command prompt
- Open a web browser and type http://169.254.0.1 or http://storage to login to the HD363N
After you log on to the setup page, go to IP Configuration section and choose Static IP to assign the IP address, subnet mask, and DNS for the unit.
Q: How do I setup a static IP address for HD363N?
A: Connect the HD363N directly to your computer,
wait for about 30 seconds to 1 minute and open a web browser and enter 'http://169.254.0.1' or 'http://storage' into your address bar to login to the HD363N.
Once in the setup page; go to the "IP Configuration" section and choose "Static IP" to assign the IP address, Subnet Mask, and DNS for the unit. (The IP address needs to be the same as your router IP address except for the last three digits. For example, if your router IP address is 192.168.1.1 and the IP address that you use for HD363N should be 192.168.1.2 or up to 254. )
- The Gateway is your router IP address.
- For the Subnet Mask, and DNS, you can login to your router setup and look at the status on LAN section to see more information about the Subnet Mask and DNS.
Q: How to setup HD363N for Mac?
- Make sure that SMB protocol is enabled.
Click "Go" on the menu bar and choose "Utilities". Click on "Directory
Access" and look at the SMB check box. Ensure that it is checked
to the SMB protocol.
- Open your browser and key in: http://storage/
If you can’t login, refer to the question how to setup static IP address for HD363N.
- Enter “admin” for the User Name, and enter “admin” for the Password
Q: How to map a Network Drive for Mac OS X?
- On the Desktop, click on the “Go” menu and select the “Connect to Server…” option.
-. On the “Connect to Server” window enter the path for the drive you would like to map in the “Address field.” Your path should look similar to the following:
smb://storage/Public (or any folder that you created on Folder Share). Click the “Connect” button.
For static IP address:
smb://IP_address/Public (IP_address is the IP that you assigned for the HD363N)
- On the “File System Authentication” screen enter WORKGROUP for the “Workgroup/Domain”, your username in the “Username” field. If your folder share has password then enter your folder share password in the “Password” field. Then click “OK.”