General Safety Guidelines for Working with Notebooks
General Safety Guidelines for Working with Notebook Computers1.Shut down the operating system:
Turning Off Your Computer
NOTICE: To avoid losing data, save and close any open files and exit any open programs before you turn off your computer.
a. Save and close any open files, exit any open programs, click the Start button, and then click Turn Off Computer.
b. In the Turn off computer window, click Turn off.
The computer turns off after the operating system shutdown process finishes.
2. Ensure that the computer and any attached devices are turned off. If your computer and attached devices did not automatically turn off when you shut down your operating system, press and hold the power button for 4 seconds.
Before Working Inside Your Computer
Use the following safety guidelines to help protect your computer from potential damage and to help ensure your own personal safety.
CAUTION: Before you begin any of the procedures in this section, follow the safety instructions in the Product Information Guide.
CAUTION: Handle components and cards with care. Do not touch the components or contacts on a card. Hold a card by its edges or by its metal mounting bracket. Hold a component such as a processor by its edges, not by its pins.
NOTICE: When you disconnect a cable, pull on its connector or on its strain-relief loop, not on the cable itself. Some cables have a connector with locking tabs; if you are disconnecting this type of cable, press in on the locking tabs before you disconnect the cable. As you pull connectors apart, keep them evenly aligned to avoid bending any connector pins. Also, before you connect a cable, ensure that both connectors are correctly oriented and aligned.
NOTICE: To avoid damaging the computer, perform the following steps before you begin working inside the computer.
1. Ensure that the work surface is flat and clean to prevent the computer cover from being scratched.
2. Turn off your computer.
3. If the computer is connected to a docking device (docked), undock it. See the documentation that came with your docking device for instructions.
NOTICE: To disconnect a network cable, first unplug the cable from your computer and then unplug it from the network wall jack.
4. Disconnect any telephone or network cables from the computer.
5. To avoid damaging the system board, you must remove the main battery before you service the computer.
6. Disconnect your computer and all attached devices from their electrical outlets.
7. Remove any installed PC Cards or blanks from the PC Card slot.
8. Remove the Secure Digital memory card, if installed, from the Secure Digital memory slot.