Sony Vaio PCG-FRV series Hard Drive & CD Drive Installation Guide
Hard Drive Installation Guide:
1. Turn off the computer, unplug the power and remove the battery. If it is hot, let it cool off before servicing.
2. Touch a grounded surface and ensure that you have no static charge.
3. Flip the computer over so that you are looking at the bottom of it with the front of it facing you. The text on the labels should be upright and facing you.
4. Remove the small black screw at the bottom of the left most panel. BEWARE: Sony uses "loc-tite" on their screws, so you will need a good screwdriver and a good grip on it to start the screw turning.
5. Gently lift the panel away.
6. Unscrew the 4 small screws that hold the HDD rails to the case and gingerly slide the HDD foward in its bay, so that the IDE connector disengages.
7. Remove the HDD rails from the sides of the drive.
8. Place the rails on your new drive and reverse the steps to return the system back its ready state.
Optical Drive (CD/DVD/CDRW/DVDRW Drive) Installation Guide:
1. Remove HDD, as described in the change your HDD article above.
2. Remove the two small silve screws located at the front of the HDD bay.
3. Remove the screw that is deep sunk into the case that is located just outside the HDD bay and to the top left of the HDD bay.
4. Use a paperclip to open your optical drive tray by inserting it into the pin hole by the eject button.
5. Gently pull the optical drive from the case.
6. Remove the cd/dvd drive face by removing the small black screws that hold it on.
7. Remove the cd/dvd drive rails by removing the silver screws that hold them on (they are on the sides and rear of the drive).
8. Mount the face and rails onto your new drive.
9. Insert your new drive.
10. Replace screws removed in steps 2 and 3.
11. Replace HDD as per article on HDD replacement.