Dell Inspiron 1300 Hard Drive Installation Guide
Removing the Hard Drive
CAUTION: If you remove the hard drive from the computer when the drive is hot, do not touch the metal housing of the hard drive.
CAUTION: Before you begin any of the procedures in this section, follow the safety instructions in the Product Information Guide.
NOTICE: To prevent data loss, turn off your computer before removing the hard drive. Do not remove the hard drive while the computer is on, in standby mode, or in hibernate mode.
NOTICE: Hard drives are extremely fragile; even a slight bump can damage the drive.
To replace the hard drive in the hard drive bay:
1. Follow the instructions in Before Working Inside Your Computer.
2. Turn the computer over, and loosen the two captive screws in the hard drive cover.
NOTICE: When the hard drive is not in the computer, store it in protective antistatic packaging. See "Protecting Against Electrostatic Discharge" in the Product Information Guide.
3. Lift the cover off the computer and set it aside.
4. Slide the hard drive carrier away from the screw holes, and then use the tab to lift the hard drive straight up to remove it from the computer.
Installing the Hard Drive
1. Remove the new drive from its packaging.
NOTICE: Use firm and even pressure to slide the drive into place. If you use excessive force, you may damage the connector.
2. Seat the new hard drive into the bay, and then slide it into the connector by sliding it toward the screw holes until it is fully seated.
3. Replace the cover and tighten the screws.
4. Install the operating system for your computer, using the Operating System CD.
Note: If you purchased an EZ-Gig data transfer kit, please following the EZ-Gig Kit installation guide to transfer data from old hard drive to new hard drive before you install the new hard drive into the computer.